TEST OF TIME
Originally built in the 1830's for a wealthy merchant, this double-wide townhouse in Brooklyn Heights had only four previous owners prior to its purchase in 2006. While it had always been a single family home, and the bones were intact, the house had suffered years of neglect and needed a full restoration. The front brick façade that had been notoriously painted purple was stripped and restored. The brownstone work was resurfaced and the gothic windows were all releaded and reglazed with restoration art glass. The rear façade was similarly restored and the interior was a mix of restoration and creation. A new curved stair links the kitchen to a garden room, and the garden room to a wine cellar below. The cellar was excavated and structural problems were uncovered and repaired. Central air conditioning was added, and plumbing and electrical systems were upgraded and replaced. The property includes a garden which is shared by the carriage house to the rear, which DFA also restored for the same family.